Monday, December 9, 2013

Do's and Don'ts of being a tourist in NYC.

The Do’s and Don’ts of being a tourist in NYC.

I should probably start off by saying don’t go to NYC during Christmas time but that is sort of is the reason to go, the decorations, the Santas, shopping, snow and most of all the chaos. This was not my first trip to NYC (for Danny it was, a birthday gift I gave him) but might as well should have been. I was clueless, confused, lost and overwhelmed. Don’t get me wrong, we had a great time spending the weekend away from home but it was definitely a lot for us.

I also have to let everyone know that while I was there I left my Louis Vuitton wallet in a taxi. I had no clue I left it there when being dropped off at the blow dry bar. A half hour later that taxi driver came to the salon and gave me my wallet back. Talk about restoring my faith in humanity, everyone at the blow dry bar was in shock and said things like “that usually doesn't happen around here”. Thank you kind sir, I will always be thankful for you.

DO’s: Stay close to the city the night before. We stayed in Stamford CT the night before and it worked out great. The hotel was well priced and offered a shuttle to and from the train station and let us keep our car there over night. 

Make reaervations. This is important, it is so busy this time of year and most places will not be able to take you. Ask local friends before for suggestions, they know best. We ate at Fig and Olive which was delicious and also had reservations at The View (see don’ts of why I cannot tell you how it was).

Rockettes. Those beautiful, long legged dancers are a Christmas joy to everyone. The show isn’t too long and something everyone should see.

9/11 Memorial. Just do it, pay tribute to the fallen and to where the twin towers stood. It’s beautiful and emotional and well worth it. (Don’t forget to make a reservation.)

Don’t:

Pedal Cabs. DO NOT DO IT. We ended up paying an excessive amount of money on these things and were almost killed quite a few times. Take a cab or the trains.

Mess up reservations. Triple check times and locations, we went to the right restaurant for dinner but wrong location, fortunately they were still able to take us. Not so fortunate when we showed up an hour late for brunch at the revolving restaurant overlooking the city so we missed that.

Plaza hotel. Love Home Alone? Want to feel like Kevin McCallister? Don’t bother going. They will not let you in the lobby if you are not a guest and it was so overcrowded. Stick to watching the movie at home.

In the end I suggest most to be nice, tip and smile. It’s worth it. NYC is a crowded city and everyone is trying to get somewhere so be patient. The women at the hotel we stayed at said she would have a room ready for us early because I was smiling the whole time, a taxi driver returned my wallet, another stopped the meter because I waited patient as we were stuck in traffic. Being friendly and generous is much better and karma happens. Thank you NYC for a weekend of enjoyed chaos.

With love,

Ashley Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment